Sunday, May 17, 2009

A Tribute To My Favourite Chips


Every time I am in Sydney, the first thing I will buy is my favourite chips, Smith's Chicken Crinkle Cut Chips. My relatives think I am silly when I load bags of it back with me. Last year when I was in Bali for a sales conference, I was pleasantly shocked to find Smith's chips at a convenience store and they had chicken flavour as well, I was further shocked to find out out that I had to pay US$4.50 for one bag! But had to. So, if you come across these chips while traveling, grab one quick.

The history of Smith's Chips dates back to when Smith's Potato Chips Ltd was first formed by Frank Smith in the UK after World War 1. The history of Smith's Chips in Australia began, however, in 1931 when the first chips were produced by Frank Smith and George Ensor in leased premises in Sydney's Surry Hills. These chips were originally made in 20 gas fired cooking pots, packed by hand and distributed by Nestle Confectionery vans. In 1932, Smith's Potato Chips (Australia) was formed and sold its early chips in three penny packets, 24 in a tin. The legendary "twist of salt" sachet was contained in these packs before pre-salting was introduced in later years. In 1945, a continuous cooker process was introduced to replace the individual cooking pots. In 1960 the production of a one shilling pack for movie theatres and a box pack for four shillings was initiated.


In 1961 Smith's introduced its first flavoured chip - Chicken. This flavour is still one of the more popular flavours in the crinkle cut range. In 2002, Smith's celebrated 70 years since Smith's Potato Chips (Australia) was formed. Recently Smith's introduced a thin cut potato chip, called "Smith's Selections Thinly Cut" under its iconic brand name. The Smith's crinkle cut chip is known as "Smith's Classic Crinkle Cut". Both Smith's products are available in a range of flavours. Smith's is still known as... "The Original and the Best" and the Smith's brand is the number one selling potato chip in Australia.




4 comments:

CY said...

i like potato chips a lot too. I don't know which is the best for me as the imported ones cost too much for me to sample! However there is this prawn crackers from Japan called Calbees Ebisen that I find irresistible.........thet can be found in Jusco or Cold Storage. Maybe you can try them.......

DiN said...

I have to agree on you with this.

adi said...

Dali,
Which convenience store was that in Bali? I'll be in Bali pretty soon!

adi said...

Dali,
Which convenience store is that in Bali? Sounds yummy!